Hands On Time: 30 mins
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons melted butter, divided use
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tart apple, sliced. I prefer Honeycrisp
- 1 tsp ginger
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Apple or pear sauce for topping (optional)
- Whipped Cream, Sour cream topping, and/or Maple Syrup (optional)
2. Make a batter of the eggs, flour, salt, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and 3 tablespoons melted butter and blend until smooth.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in an iron skillet or other oven-proof pan (12″), until bubbly, add apple slices and ginger. Saute over medium heat until crisp-tender.
4. Pour batter into hot skillet over the apple slices. Place skillet in oven and bake until edges are browned and crisp and cake is puffed, about 20 minutes. For smaller servings, you can use the cupcake tin.
5. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and/or serve with apple or pear sauce and/or top with whipped cream and/or top with sour cream. Maple syrup is delicious too, as well as about 1T Maple Syrup mixed with 3/4 c Sour Cream.